Sunday, July 17, 2005
Massive Marketing Blunder #2: The Scourge or “Me Too!” Products
If Someone Can Already Buy It
Why Would They Buy it From You?
There is an affliction unique to first time audio product creators that’s so predictable I can set my watch by it.
Its what I call the “Me Too!” product and it’s a blind spot that will leave your passive revenue prospects in shreds.
There are two primary forms of “Me Too!” products. (I’ll talk about the next one in a separate post).
The first happens when I ask a first-time producer what they want to create and receive an answer like, “Oh, I want to create a visualization product.”
Nothing wrong with that – in fact I even lead a teleseminar on how to do it profitably.
The problem comes when I ask “Tell me a bit more about that.” And the answer I usually get is “Oh, you know . . . like a guided visualization product. Where I run them through a visualization. Like you can buy on the web.”
The assumption here is simply creating a product means people will buy it. And nothing could be further from the truth. The problem is what this well-meaning product creator described – by her own words – is something I can already buy.
And If I can already buy it, chances are, I already would have.
Yes, if you create yet another visualization product a few people will buy it. Your most devoted customers, family members and a few folks on your mailing list. But those few sales won’t justify the time and effort you’ve invested in creating it in the first place.
The way to move past the “Me Too!” syndrome with your products is to inject a bit of vision into your process. And vision by definition doesn’t mean that great tidbit you heard at your last personal development workshop. It means something you came up with that’s so fresh, so unique, it will turn heads.
Yep, this means you have to do a bit more work. But it’s the most lucrative work you’ll ever get paid for. And as soon as you decide to do it, you’re in some pretty elite company because 95% of the folks out there just won’t put in that extra oomph that will make all the difference is their bottom line.
Sure, you can market the hell out of your “Me too!” product and maybe get a few extra sales. But people are pretty savvy these days, and a brick – even one with great marketing – is still a brick.
So go ahead – do that visualization product. But tell me why its different. Tell me why I “ain’t seen nothing like it before!” Tell me what it will do for me. Don’t be afraid to tell me about it with your unique voice and style. And get me so fired up about what it will do for me, that I’ll not only buy it (and buy others) but get my friends to do the same.
While vision is pretty cliché, a little bit of GENUINE VISION goes a very long way.
And as soon as you step out of “Me too!” and into “The one-and-only” you’ve distanced yourself from the field, and put a turbo-charger on your revenue prospects.





