Monday, July 11, 2005

Just Say No! The Nancy Reagan Business School


Being a Disciple of Our Former 1st Lady
Just Might Save Your Business


Of course when Nancy Reagan coined the catch phrase “Just Say No!” she wasn’t talking about business.

But if you can apply her advice to your business, you just might save yourself thousands of dollars, and months (or years!) of wasted time.

Because what you choose to devote your time to, is what you’re going to become known for, whether you like it or not. And it may take you more time and effort to get out from under that label than its worth.

Example: This past year, I came very close to volunteering to record all the live speakers at a networking group I belong to. It would have brought me quite a bit of exposure. And at the last moment (“Someone Saved My Life Tonight!”) I backed out. And I’m very glad I did.

Because, had I accepted that responsibility, I would have become “The Seminar Recording Guy”. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I might have made a lot of money.

The problem: I have no desire to become “The Seminar Recording Guy”. While I do advise folks on technical aspects of creating and recording audio products, I am foremost a strategist. Because that’s where the fun is. And for my clients, that’s where the money is.

Without exception, the clients I’ve worked with who made the most money had the best strategies and were impeccable in carrying them out. They were very clear about what they wanted to represent, who most needed to hear what they had to say, and how best to reach them, and were relentless in staying on course and on message.

Be very careful about the responsibilities you choose to accept.

An opportunity that gives you a lot of visibility in an arena you don’t care about, isn’t an opportunity it’s a strait jacket.

Be forewarned: this isn’t going to be easy. You will give up thousands of dollars in potential earnings during a time when the phone isn’t exactly ringing off the hook.

Learn to deal with it.

Because it will be far less painful turning down thousands, than thinking about the hundreds of thousands you COULD HAVE MADE if only you would have stuck to your guns.

The business you refuse may have a lot more to do with your success than the business you accept.