Low budget fix
Gets rid of popping P’s and sizzling S’s
One of the biggest audio quality issues is also one of the easiest to solve.
It would be great if we could all afford $200 microphones –but we can’t. And because we can’t many of us run into the twin scourges of “Sibilant S’s” and “Popping P’s”. You know, those two troublesome syllables that play havoc with your recording, and can irritate the heck out of your audience.
Add to that the problems the sound of your own breath can cause, and you’ve got a real challenge.
Fortunately its one that’s easy (and cheap!) to solve.
Its called a windscreen, and the one that I use is a simple piece of foam that fits over the actual microphone.And I know what you’re thinking . . . I already got one.
But if you’re still having issues with your P’s popping and s’s sizzling its probably not big enough.
Enter your local Radio Shack.
They sell several sizes of wind screens for standard mics that you can adapt for you own microphones. I’ve included a few photos to show you how I use an oversized Radio Shack wind screen on my USB headset mic to get rid of my own “S” and “P” problems.
True, it’s a bit ungainly. The fit is rarely perfect. You may even have to use tape to keep the foam from falling off. However, you’re not going for style points, but enjoyable recordings minus annoying anomalies.
This isn’t a highly scientific solution. But its one that’s worked for me. And it will only run you 3-5 bucks max to solve the problem for yourself.You can also check out your local musical instrument store, or online superstores Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or Same Day Music to pick up your own.





