Monday, December 05, 2005
Selling Your Products on Amazon
Is “The World’s Largest Bookstore”
A Good Place for Your Info Products?
When Amazon.com was first feeling its oats ˆ way, way back in the late 90's ˆ it billed itself as the World’s Largest Bookstore. Whether or not that’s still true, the prospect of marketing your audio products through an entity with Amazon’s size and reach is enticing.
But to be quite honest with you, aside from hearing from folks who had decided to list their products with Amazon - some experiencing success, some not - I kind of pooh-poohed the idea. Flush with new found internet marketing knowledge, I was confident I (and my clients) could do much better on our own, using ezines, speaking engagements, blogs and all the other usual marketing suspects.
Until I received a late night email from an associate, asking me for help in listing her DVD with the mega site.
And something about it intrigued me.
I got a lot more excited when a few very lucky clicks through Google parked me on the doorstep of some very juicy resources that are crucial if marketing your products through Amazon even remotely interests you.
Because its not as simple as signing on, getting a password, uploading a .jpg of your product jacket and collecting your royalty check. There are definite steps you need to take, and some costs as well. But for the right person, and the right product, a space on one of the world’s largest merchandising sites might just be worth it.
Over the next few months, we’ll be touching base on different aspects of selling your products through Amazon.
But to start off, we’re going for the jugular, with the nitty gritty on steps you’ll need to take to get it done!
To get you the first resource, I’m going to break rule #1 of internet marketing: I’m going to send you to someone else’s site. And I’m not even going to make money off of it! But this resource is far too detailed to allow my pride to get in the way of passing it along to you!
It’s a step-by-step guide to listing your product on Amazon. Its probably the most cogent explanation I’ve seen and worth a look-see:
Step-by-step Amazon Product Listing Process
While Kevin’s blurb, takes the cake, you may want to get your information from the horse’s mouth - Amazon itself. If you’re real serious about getting your products on Amazon you must read this before you proceed. Because even well-meaning bloggers may not be up-to-date and current on all of the latest policies and fee structures.
Its not as concise as the previous resource, but it’s the law:
Amazon’s own “Sell Your Product” info page
Amazon, in their infinite wisdom has called this the Advantage Program. Which sounds a lot more like a frequent flier program than the way to sell books, CDs and DVDs on their site. In fact it took me quite a few clicks to stumble onto the link.
Sniping aside, keep an eye peeled for more on resources Amazon provides for getting your products out to the world.





