Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Audio Easy as Email?
Sometimes your next quantum leap
Is staring you in the face
Sometimes we make things a lot more complicated than they need to be.
Because we’ve become so used to paying big bucks for products that are supposed to change our life, we’re blind to the tiny things that can sometimes lead to huge changes in our business.
I had this experience -- and I’d like to share it with you.
It involves something so outrageously simply I wonder why I didn’t think of it before. But it has made making my own recordings much easier. And the easier making recordings are, the more of them you’ll do. And the more of them you do . . you get the picture.
Being a bit of a neat freak, I have always unplugged my computer microphone whenever I had finished using it. But because of the long hours I spent getting Entrepreneur Idol out the door, one night I left the darn thing plugged in.
And I was stunned how much simpler a little thing like that made it to record.
Instead of plugging the mic, designating it as my input device in my control panel. And designating it as the input device in my recording software – I simply hit the record button in my software and began to talk. Then I saved the file as an MP3, and it was ready to go.
Because so many of us are so busy, we’ll put things off just because there are a few extra steps involved. Remove these steps, and the resistance to doing it crumbles. And we find not only do we do it a lot more, but we enjoy the heck out of doing so.
So, if you record on your computer, here’s what I recommend:
Leave the darn mic plugged in. If need be, hammer a nail into the wall so you can hang it up out of the way (if you’re using a headset mic).
So when the urge strikes, simply fire up your recording software and hit the record button.
Save it as an MP3 so you can upload it / download it easily.
Then upload it to your website (to distribute it a large group of people) or use a service like You Send It to get it out to a few.
As we spoke about in an earlier post, NEVER send audio by email, because of the huge file sizes.
Part of what will make your audio successful is doing a lot of it. Make it easy for you to do that by leaving your microphone plugged in. Pretty soon, it may be as easy capturing those brilliant ideas for your podcast, as it is answering that email.





