Sunday, June 12, 2005
BEWARE THE REBATE GREMLINS!
Companies Count on You to Forget
How to Get What's Coming to You
The more you get into creating your own audio, the more you discover many purchases are eligible for rebates. And we're not talking pennies here. In the last year alone, I've probably pocketed $150 to $200 in rebates. Software products, bulk CDs, electronics, printers -- are often covered by rebate programs.
What you'll also discover is that while most companies fulfill their commitments, many count on you to forget you've got money coming. So they not only get your sale, but pocket the rebate as well.
When a rebate on a hard drive I bought was seven weeks overdue, I called the company, to discover my rebate had been processed promptly, but because of 'overwhelming response' (imagine that!) they just hadn't had the time to send it to me. My call prompted them to promise it would be on its way to me pronto, which I appreciate.
But the lesson is that if I didn't call, I may not have seen that check at all. In the fine print, the rebate form states that if I haven't received my check within 10 weeks, I had to notify the company, or else "all rights hereunder will expire."
And we all know what that means.
Now I don't know if the company was holding onto my check on purpose. However, by completely legal means -- such as intentionally understaffing their rebate unit -- they can ensure the funds collect interest in their bank account rather than mine.
There are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself:
1.
Most rebate forms list a phone number to call to check up on your rebate - make a note of it when you FIRST send the rebate in.
2.
Make an entry on your calendar when the rebate is due -- and if that day arrives without a check, call them and raise a stink.
3.
Keep a copy of your rebate materials, just in case.
If all this seems like much ado about nothing, rebates can add up to big money over time. And I would rather see that money in YOUR pocket, than with some company that refuses to live up to its obligations.





